NEW YORK — Retailers across every channel are expanding their own brand kitchen and housewares in response to the spike in consumer demand for cooking, kitchen and home products.
To showcase the category’s increasing popularity, the Private Label Manufacturers Association has planned a special exhibition at its annual trade show in Chicago. Housewares in the United States and Canada are estimated to account for more than a quarter of global category sales. U.S. spending for housewares grew 9.4%, a rate that’s nearly twice the sales growth for the category as a whole globally, PLMA reported. According to Nielsen data for all outlets combined, private label already outsells most, if not all, of the leading national brands in categories such as cookware, kitchen gadgets, small appliances, bathroom accessories and storage and space management.
Exclusive product lines at major retail chains already include:
- Target’s Threshold and Room Essentials
- Walmart’s Mainstays and Better Homes and Gardens
- Costco’s Kirkland Signature
- Walgreens’ Living Solutions
- H-E-B’s Chefstyle
- Giant and Stop & Shop’s Smart Living
- Williams Sonoma’s Open Kitchen
- Sur La Table’s eponymous own brand
- Ace’s Grill Mark and Living Accents
- Meijer’s Katie Brown
- Bed Bath & Beyond’s Real Simple.